UX Designer, 1 Business Analyst, 3 Programmers
Balsamic Mockups, Sketch, InVision
01. Key UX Methodologies:
02. The Brief
We signed a non-disclosure agreement with our client so I write this case study without giving away who the business is, other than they are in the mining industry. The brief was to create a custom rostering tool to replace Microsoft Dynamics. The tool needed to not only manage a rail crew of 300 fly in fly out personnel but also adhere to training and fatigue rules. It also needed to integrate with Microsoft AD and SAP, and manage, flight bookings, training as well as rostering and communications.
03. Contextual Inquiry
I was invited to go to Western Australia to meet with the crew management team to see how they use the current tool first hand. A workshop was organised to observe the users’ pain points. This was a great insight into the problematic current software and what needed to be done to improve the user experience as well as understanding the complexity of what the crew management team was up against on a day to day basis and how we could design to solve some of these problems.
Another way I used observation to understand the problem was studying the current colour coordinated exported yearly rosters. By viewing these on a macro level I could see repeated patterns and understand how we needed to incorporate login to mimic these patterns to create rosters that cover all work types and rotate workers
04. User Interviews
I took this time to sit down with the team and ask a few questions around what their day to day tasks included, what were their frustrations and what aspects of the current process they thought worked well. The following a a few insights I pulled from these interviews.
05. Comparative Analysis
Next up I researched existing rostering software to see what was out there and what worked well and what didn’t. As the project called for a lot of customisation little existing software would work in this situation but I felt it was necessary to do a bit of research anyway to understand what our tool might look like.
06. Persona Creation
4 personas were created based on different age groups, genders and tech empathies. A copy of them can be seen below. These were crucial in understanding the users and specific to the business. These can be seen below.
07. User Journeys
To better understand the processes the crew rostering team undertook on a day to day basis I created a user journey map. This mapped specific tasks and how they related to each other, if there were any pain points and how the user could feel in within these areas of contention. I created this to be fluid by creating the map template printing it out and using post-it notes to depict the journeys.
After the journey mapping I mapped out the IA (Information Architecture aka site map), I like to create some sort of mapping for each project I start to help get my head around the pages to start designing and how they interrelate to each other. This is the skeleton of the design and the UI is the skin. This also helps define what pages are repeat designs with dynamic content.
Next up I created black and white wireframes in Blasamiq Mockups. I chose do do this step before creating the UI as the application design was a beast of a project with over 100 screens. By creating black and white wireframes I was able to focus on the macro such as what each screen did and how if was integrated with the rest of the design and not get bogged down in the micro – ie making the design pixel perfect. Below are some examples of how these wireframes looked.